From 1946 to 1951, the theoretical and practical lecturing at the Biology Department, as integral part of the Faculty of Philosophy, was performed at the Macedonian Museum of Natural History. In 1951/52, the Institute of Biology joined the Faculty of Natural Sciences and Mathematics. At that time, theoretical lecturing was performed in 1 amphitheater and 2 lecture rooms. With the development of the scientific and research activity of the Institute, new laboratories were opened and expanded for research and practical work.
Today, the Institute of Biology performs its teaching and scientific activity in the buildings of the Faculty of Natural Sciences and Mathematics, as well as in the specially adapted part of the Botanical Garden. For the conduct of biology studies, the Institute has amphitheatres (2), lecture rooms (2), laboratories for practical teaching (8) and laboratories for scientific research (14). The Institute also has additional premises for teaching and scientific work: botanical garden, aquarium, experimental animal laboratories, plant growth chambers, insectarium, herbarium, herpetological collection, mycological collection, computer classroom and library. The theoretical teaching at the Institute of Biology follows the modern teaching and learning processes, while practical classes are carried out in modern equipped laboratories from different areas of botany, zoology, physiology and biochemistry.