The Institute of Biology (as Department or Institute of Biology) exists since 1946, with the establishment of the Natural and Mathematical Department within the Faculty of Philosophy in Skopje. In 1958, the Natural-Mathematics Department was separated from the Faculty of Philosophy into a separate Faculty of Natural Sciences and Mathematics. The Institute of Biology was a part of the Faculty of Natural Sciences and Mathematics until 1976. With university reforms, in 1976, the Institute of Biology transformed into a separate Faculty of biology within the University Center for Biological-Biotechnical Sciences at the University "St. Cyril and Methodius" in Skopje. Within the Department of Biology, i.e. the Institute of Biology, in 1952 began the organization of a Botanical garden, and in 1977 it was separated as an independent part as Department of Botany, since was named as Botanical Department with Botanical Garden. Since 1985, with the processes of rationalization in higher education, the five independent faculties (Mathematics, Faculty of Physics, Chemical, Biological and Geographic) have reunited at the Faculty of Natural Sciences and Mathematics.
The founders of the teaching and scientific activity of the Institute of Biology are well-known teachers from several university centers in the SFR Yugoslavia: Dr. Sinisa Stankovic, Dr. Milutin Radovanovic, Dr. Sima Grozdanovic, Dr. Steva Jakovlevic, Dr. Ivan Gjaja, Dr. Branka Milovanovic, Dr. Stjepan Horvatic, Dr. Ivo Horvat, Dr. Vale Vouh, Dr. Ivo Peavalek, Dr. Vanda Kohanski-Devide, Dr. Miroslav Zei and Dr. Ernest Mayer. Many professors from the faculties in Skopje gave their contribution to the education of the staff at the Institute: Dr. Ruza Werner, Dr. Nikola Micev, Dr. Ruzica Glavinic, Slave Hadziche and other professors teaching in the subjects of physics, chemistry, mathematics, biostatistics, pedagogy, psychology and methodology.
The teaching activity of the Institute of Biology (as Department of Biology) began with three teachers who performed the whole activity related to the organization and performance of the teaching (practical and theoretical). Today, the Institute of Biology employs 49 people. 17 full professors, 6 associate professors, 7 assistant professors and 2 teaching assistants are working now in the field of teaching and science. Professors from other institutes at the Faculty, as well as from other faculties participate in the teaching. Also, in the work of the Institute of Biology are included 12 technical assistants, one technical secretary, one librarian, two laboratory assistants and one technical assistant from the Botanical Garden.